A coroner said on Monday that a SC teenager who collapsed in a high school classroom last month died because he drank several highly caffeinated drinks too quickly.
Davis Allen Cripe died from a caffeine-induced cardiac event causing a probable arrhythmia, Richland County Coroner Gary Watts announced in a news conference Monday.
During the news conference, Cripe's father Sean urged other parents to talk to their children about the dangers of energy drinks.
American medical research group the Mayo Clinic say on its website that "up to 400 milligrams of caffeine a day appears to be safe for most healthy adults". But it wasn't a auto crash that took his life.
The 16-year-old had a combination of energy drinks, Mountain Dew, and coffee which lead to his death.
Davis was rushed to the hospital after he collapsed in a classroom in late April.
Now, a SC coroner is saying that Davis' caffeine consumption led to his death.
"We lost Davis from a totally legal substance", said Watts, adding that the boy was a model student and was not addicted to caffeine, but rather he had some kind of heart condition.
The teenager weighed 90kg (200 lbs) but would not have been considered morbidly obese, Mr Watts said. "We're not trying to speak out totally against caffeine", Watts said.
"This is what's unsafe about this", Watts said.
He said the caffeinated beverages caused the teen to suffer from arrhythmia, or an irregular heartbeat. And teenagers and students- please stop buying them.
The autopsy showed no "unfounded" or "undiagnosed heart condition", said Watts, who was careful not to call Davis' death a caffeine overdose. McDonald's does not report the amount of caffeine in its coffee.