So far, Australia has escaped the laptop bans that have plagued global flights to the United States and the UK on some airlines, but it looks like that might not be the case in the near future.
On Tuesday, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull indicated Australia was considering the issue and "looking at it very closely".
The US and Britain banned laptops in cabins on inbound flights from a number of Muslim-majority countries in response to unidentified security threats in March. It's therefore entirely conceivable that those who plotted to attack flights to the US either had Australia on their lists or added the nation after the ban.
"We are looking at it very closely", Turnbull said.
While the Australian government ruled out the idea at the time, today the prime minister said the government was reviewing the situation based on the latest intelligence.
"You would have to introduce some measure at screening points where laptops could be taken from passengers and taken to the hold", he said."The logistic of doing it would be significant and the interruption. would be enormous".
Several airlines fly direct from the Gulf States to Australia and the nation has troops in Afghanistan, sent others to both Gulf Wars and has experienced domestic attacks in which perpetrators invoked the name of terrorist groups.
"If there's no specific threat or risk, then they've got to carefully examine it - is the measure just going to cost hundreds of millions of dollars and not have any fundamental additional impact on security?"
The affected airports include Cairo; Istanbul; Kuwait City; Doha, Qatar; Casablanca, Morocco; Amman, Jordan; Riyadh and Jeddah, Saudi Arabia; and Dubai and Abu Dhabi in United Arab Emirates.